Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2/16 Response: City & Regional Magazine Annual Judging

Last week, we acted as the preliminary judgers of the City & Regional Magazine Annual. That was super exciting.

Probably the first round is the toughest one. Facing piles of nice designs, it was easy to get lost. We only had 10 mins to pick 4. I personally prefer clean and simple design so I did not pay enough attention to colorful and fancy ones, especially those themed for food or restaurants. This was not good, but

To be frank, I did not think anything particular of the design is that attractive. Simple typo, simple design, simple photos and simple story. But the combination is just comfortable to look at. As I mentioned in the class, I felt like I was in the city, watching people walking around me in the streets.

Design is like doing make up. Girls with heavy make up are surely much pretty than those not, but, too much make up will cover the very nature and idiosyncratic trait. I think the best design is the most comfortable design. Readers won't critique a spread like we do, what design elements are good, or that the typography is unique. They use intuition to judge the magazine, thus, the good ones would not be too purposefully decorated. Because natural design are closest to human intuition. Also, as I response last week, design is a servant. Make ups make girl pretty but the prettiest thing is always the girl herself.

Something weird is that I did not like it that much until I need to think of something to convince the classmates why we should keep it. The more I thought, the more I liked it. 

After the class, I got to know more about the design competition. Don't worry you haven't got any prizes, that't probably not because your design is bad, but you just have different tastes as the judgers.



No comments:

Post a Comment