Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2/16 Critique

This is my first draft of CUPBOARD.
Here's the color palette. I chose a mix of war and cold color.


This is the department splash page. The topic is about using 10 ingredients to make 10 meals in a week.
I like the idea. But as a department page, it's very difficult to put 10 recipes in one page. And the results are... text text text.. way too many..After learned that we don't have to be confined in the publishers' idea. I guess I would try to figure out how to place so many information in a more organized way.


This is the feature spread. It's about making cocktail


 This is the cover

Overall, I would want the magazine to be clean and simple. During the first phrase of designing I did not use photo for the cover is because I know we will have access to the library later so I want to come up with an illustration cover first and wait till we can dig into the real source to try a photo cover.
Also, our magazine is defined as a one shot thing, so I would prefer not too much periodical magazine elements in that.

2 comments:

  1. You're on a great start! The splash page looks good. I like how you put the ingredients in the 10 boxes to make one large box. I think you did a good job organizing so much content on one spread. The department is easy to follow and not too distracting. The feature spread is nice too. I'm not sure how many pages it will be, but maybe you could put some text on the right-hand page. Good job, I'm excited to see your prototype larger during the critique tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your cover page, Chen! The typography is so interesting considering how difficult it must have been to match "cupboard," but in a trendy sort of way. I agreed with Jan that maybe one of the sparks on the letters should disappear, but other than that, using that font was a good way to throw in some diversity.

    ReplyDelete