Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2/23 Critique

Yes,  there have been lots of changes from the first draft. First, no illustration on cover. But I personally not a fan of delicious food cover which always seems to mock at my terrible cooking. I really love Mary's idea of using tools. So I guess I could use other things that is part of eating but not too obvious. I actually had several version of covers, but found this most clean and simple. 
The publisher team changed the 10 ingredients, 10 recipes story from department page to feature, which is want I want. So I would have more space to stuff all the content. I decided to use monday to sunday theme and add a little day and night clock (made of rice and black sesames) to show how the magazine will accompany the reader through the week

This is also a new idea from the publisher team. The theme is to "recycle" food that will expire soon, which we usually would throw away. My concern is that the left page may be confused as feature. But by adding anything into the page would break the balance of the spread.. I spent most time on the department spread and found I always had a hard time with department page. I do think now that department page is the most difficult one since you want it to be uniform but different in every issue. Lots of contents make it hard to organize the spread neatly but at the same time make it beautiful. 

In order to make the color palette look busier I add some color button that could be taken advantage of in department page or to keep the consistency of the whole magazine.

1 comment:

  1. Chen - Your final designs for Cupboard are absolutely gorgeous. Honestly, I think they could go to press with those today. You did a great job with the cover, focusing on the ingredients. You worked in the sells lines beautifully as well. I love how you have the left hand pages on your spread so much room to breathe and let the images and simple headline typography take over. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete